These pumpkin pie bars with almond cookie crust make a healthy Fall treat loaded with pumpkin flavour! They’re naturally vegan, paleo and gluten-free!
Pumpkin pie! Pumpkin pieeee!
I thought I was done with pumpkin recipes for the season, but nope! As soon as I saw that can of pumpkin puree at the grocery store I knew I had to get my hands on at least a couple more pumpkin recipes. Besides, with American Thanksgiving coming up what would November be with out some sort of pumpkin pie related recipe?
So I was thinking of making a vegan pumpkin pie, or mini pumpkin pies, but I settled on making some pumpkin pie bars instead.
Why? Because these pumpkin pie bars with almond cookie crust are so much faster and easy to make. Plus they make the perfect little bite-size treats to serve up for Thanksgiving dinner.
They’re also great for anyone following a specific type of diet. Vegan, gluten-free, paleo, grain-free, refined-sugar free…these bars cover it all!
These pumpkin pie bars start with an almond cookie crust. Which tastes like a delicious almond cookie. So we’re already off to a delicious start here! Then they get topped off with a creamy pumpkin pie filling make extra creamy with coconut milk. SO GOOD.
A FEW NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
The recipe calls for almond flour, not almond meal, so make sure to check for the difference between the two. Almond flour will be much more finely ground. I love to use some almond extract in the cookie crust for that amazing flavour, but you can also use vanilla extract instead if that’s what you have on hand.
For the filling, you can use canned pumpkin puree if you want to be quick, or you can make your own. I like to use this recipe when making my own pumpkin puree.
You can substitute any type of plant-based milk for the coconut milk in this recipe, however, the bars won’t come out as smooth and creamy. So just keep that in mind if you choose to switch out the coconut milk from the recipe!
I like to top these bars off with some coconut whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon. They would be delicious topped off with some pecans too!
These pumpkin pie bars with almond cookie crust are best enjoyed within 1-2 days of being prepared. Store them in an air-tight container in the fridge.
THESE PUMPKIN PIE BARS WITH ALMOND COOKIE CRUST ARE:
- Paleo & grain-free
- Loaded with pumpkiny goodness!
These pumpkin pie bars are paleo, vegan, gluten-free and totally delicious!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp salt
Pumpkin pie filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper
- Add all the crust ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined. The dough should be sticky when you press with your fingers. (If it’s not, add a bit more coconut oil)
- Press the crust into the bottom of your pan and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Add all the pumpkin pie filling ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste the mixture and adjust if you prefer it a bit sweeter.
- Pour the filling into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool, then transfer to the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Making homemade pumpkin puree will make these bars even better!
Optionally top with coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon